Harris County deputy allegedly leaves K9 partner inside hot car
A deputy with the Harris County Sheriff's Office is under investigation after he allegedly left his K9 partner, a German Shepherd, inside a hot car.
A spokesperson for the sheriff's office said the cause of death is still under investigation but it appears to be heat exhaustion.
Sources inside the department told Local 2 Deputy Tim Lauder was coming home from work and had the dog with him, when he pulled into the driveway Lauder got distracted by his kids and forgot about the dog.
"Deputies and their K9 partners form an incredible bond," said Sheriff Adrian Garcia. "This is a tragedy."
The department called the incident an accident and said the deputy was devastated.
Right now there is an internal investigation being done to determine exactly what happened.
"We're looking into it, we're investigating it," Sheriff Garcia said. "More importantly we're trying to learn from it. We want to find ways that will prevent this from ever happening again."
One of those ways, Garcia said, is by installing sensors or alarms inside the patrol cars so if someone is left inside a hot car the deputy would be alerted.
Deputy Lauder has been with the HCSO for 21 years and had worked with the K9 for the last six.
He's been placed on administrative duty pending the outcome of the investigation.
Trudie Goertz took a swipe at Oprah's diva tendencies, saying that international stars like to be 'left in peace' in her countryOprah had accused one ...
- 'Jugging' crime trend on the rise in Houston
- Liam Gallagher's attractive aide 'sacked for getting too close' to Oasis singer as wife Nicole flees to Florida with the children (and she's not wearing her wedding ring)
- Sen Ted Cruz Filibustering
- Jon Andrew Meyer Jr was using his rifle as a crutch when it fired and killed Alysa Bobbitt
- Rice wins C-USA title over Marshall
- Local CenterPoint crews to head to Dallas to help with power outages from winter storm
- Firefighters battle string of early morning blazes in the bitter cold
- Two hospitalized in METRO bus crash
- Woman shot to death with family in the house
- Man shoots crook breaking into his home
- Officials: Hundreds of transplant patients' files stolen
- Humble police investigate FFA show pig found shot dead, left in pieces
- Disabled veteran sued by HOA over rehabilitation pool
- Construction crews will continue to demolish Astrodome through weekend